[Mac-BR] Keynote presentation power users

Evandro Vieira Ouriques evandro.vieira.ouriques em gmail.com
Sábado Outubro 26 14:47:40 PDT 2013

 Keynote presentation power users: Don’t upgrade to Keynote 6 until you’ve
read my experiences with the new version. You’ll save yourself much grief.
(The news is not all bad).
http://presentationmagic.com/2013/10/26/its-not-all-bad/

Posted on October 26,
2013<http://presentationmagic.com/2013/10/26/its-not-all-bad/>
 | 2 Comments<http://presentationmagic.com/2013/10/26/its-not-all-bad/#comments>

It’s now been a few days since the October Apple keynote announcing new
products and services. Much to many Keynote presentation software users’ *
initial*delight, Keynote 6 was announced, almost five years after the last
significant update.

I write “initial” because for many, to judge from Apple’s own discussion
support groups, and others on Yahoo, this update feels retrograde, with too
many existing elements cast out, and insufficient hoped-for new features
added.

Indeed, some expected they could open their existing and in some cases very
complex Keynote 5 files and expect them to somehow be transformed magically
into something ethereal. Or at least just work.

I did this too, only to watch a shopping list roll down before my eyes, of
missing builds replaced by a default “dissolve”, missing transitions –
ditto – and missing fonts.

This of course was the same experience I “enjoyed” when I opened Keynote on
the iPad the first time in July, 2010, again with the hope of full
compatibility.

When that didn’t happen, and another year went by with no upgrade to
Keynote (but numerous updates to the iOS version), Apple’s intentions for
iWork became clear.

So, before you go installing iWork – actually the three apps that used to
be referred to as iWork – please bear the following thoughts I have
previously cast on this blog in mind. And then I’ll make some
recommendations. Don’t rush in – I did before the free update for iWork DVD
installed apps actually became free (it took about 24 hours after the
October keynote), and paid $40 for Pages 5 and Keynote 6.

On this blog, I have suggested, not based on insider knowledge, but a long
time user and observer, that Keynote 5 would not receive an update until
there could be parity between iOS and Mac OS versions.

With the A7 chip and Mavericks, and the maturing of the “iWork in the
cloud” beta,  that has come about. It’s a distinct poke in the eye to
Microsoft and we long term power users of Keynote are the poker. We have
been sacrificed on the alter of “progress”, parity, and another nail in the
Microsoft hegemony/monopoly/”we control the vertical – we control the
horizontal” – attitude to the consumer.

But I also predicted much gnashing of teeth from said Keynote users would
parallel our colleagues in the *Final Cut Pro* sector who had hoped for
further evolution of their professional “It pays the bills” software, only
to be rendered (ahem!) *Final Cut X*. For some it felt as if an iMovie Pro
had been thrown at them: They were insulted as power users. The same can be
now said to be happening to Keynote power users, who’ve been with the
program for a decade.

Many in the Final Cut Pro world of course left for seemingly greener grass
and the open arms of Adobe and Avid, who facilitated this unexpected gift
from the gods. But those who stayed with the Apple program have apparently
received their reward as FCP X has matured, and now we see it matched to
the Mac Pro. One can reason with some predictability that the same
 iterative process will happen with Keynote given how well it *had* been
selling on both desktop and iOS devices, and especially for the latter, the
generation of schoolchildren with iPads*who will never touch Powerpoint*.

For now, I am following my own advice:

1. Install KN 6 (and Pages 5) on the Mavericks partition on my Macbook Air
(Haswell). Do not install on the Mountain Lion/Keynote 5 partition. KN6
does not work under ML. (I have a developer license for Mavericks). Make
sure your Time Machine has been put to good use.

2. Duplicate mission critical keynote files and transfer them to the
Mavericks partition, and convert them to KN6 and see the tragedy that
unfolds…. dissolve, dissolve, dissolve…

2a.* IMPORTANT*:  If you have installed Mavericks on a single partition
 and now have KN6 and KN5 on the same hard drive as your KN5 files, don’t
double click these files to work on them. They will open in KN6, which will
try to convert them. If you want to work on them in KN5, rather than play
in KN6, first open KN5 then either use the “Open…” menu item or drag the
files you wish to use onto the KN5 icon in the dock.

Mavericks sees KN6 as the default for ALL Keynote files. You’ve been warned.

3. See if some of my proudest achievements in Keynote can be fixed in KN 6
(e.g. shaking book) or at least repaired or even improved; hey, you never
know. (Have Kleenex tissue at the ready). *Update*: there are improvements
to be made, and even less clicking in some cases. I will post later how I
fixed and improved the Shaking book effect. I do believe Apple was inspired
by it via the inclusion of a new “jiggle” effect, as well as a new “pulse”
build.

4. Explore which of my third party KN stuff, from developers like Jumsoft,
etc., remain compatible, including motion background themes (QT looping)
movies. Monitor their websites for signs of life.

5. Check out how my helper apps may have been affected, e.g. *Doceri* for
annotating slides, and whiteboarding in Keynote. *UPDATE*: Doceri is fine –
phew!

6. Keep reading blogs and Apple discussion lists for hidden gems (yeah,
right! Much gnashing of teeth currently.

7. Watch for KN 6.0.1 to address some of the shortcomings, bugs, etc.

8. Stick with my day job as a clinical psychologist, and presentation
skills trainer where even KN on the iPad is better than how most use
Powerpoint on the desktop – seriously.

9. If you’re doing mission critical presenting right now, stay with KN 5
even on Mavericks. Only if you’re starting a new project from scratch, or
have the time and energy to update your older files to KN6 (and learn what
repairs you’ll need to do), do you employ KN6.

10. There are some immediate disappointments. I am unhappy to lose the Fall
transition; the lack of a timeline for precision build timings appalls;
while item grouping has improved (more on this in a later blog article),
multiple grouped items are all still named “Group”, making it difficult to
navigate busy files with numerous groups needing to be layered. *Smart
builds*, like those rotating turntables and object swapping has been
dropped. The Keynote engineering team were always disappointed in their
take-up, even though they had a huge splash when Steve Jobs first showed us
the iPhone. Remember the spinning elements:*“It’s an iPod; it’s a phone;
it’s an internet communicator – are you getting it yet?”*,  created with
Smart Builds.

11. Slide editing of Quicktime movies remains the same: Imprecise, and only
one “In” and “Out” point for each movie. I would have hoped how movies can
be edited on the iPhone might have made its way into Keynote, but it will
surely come later.

So, in summary, it’s not the gee whiz, pull out all the stops, show us what
you can really do Apple upgrade starved Keynote artists had been hoping for
after five years. Our imaginations filled the void, ignoring where Apple is
making its money, with iOS devices.

But now that we see a road ahead, powered by A7 chips in iOS devices which
will no longer be referred to as toys, or media consumption devices (go
back and rewatch the Apple video showing the diversity of iPad uses which
starts with the wind energy generators), these content creation devices
will drive Keynote further.

There may be a surprise awaiting us with a Keynote Pro with a look and feel
of Apple’s Pro software like Final Cut and Aperture (we can dream), but for
now there is a workflow for power users, and that is to keep doing what
you’re doing with Keynote 5, and find the time to *play* with Keynote 6 and
become curious and explorative. There are some hidden surprises I will blog
about soon.

--
*Prof. Dr. Evandro Vieira Ouriques*
*Coordenador, NETCCON.ECO.UFRJ*

Asociación Latinoamericana de Investigadores de la Comunicación
*Acadêmico Correspondente da AGLP*
Academia Galega da Língua Portuguesa
 <http://www.pacc.ufrj.br/pos-doutorado/equipe-2/>http://w<http://www.evandrovieiraouriques.com/>
ww.evandrovieiraouriques.com.br